Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Praying Like an Atheist

Some of the things I wrote were intended for a general audience; others were specifically for Christians.  This one is for Christians who pray because they're supposed to, even though they don't think it accomplishes anything.

Praying Like an Atheist

The bottom line is one of the two: either prayer changes things or it doesn’t.  Personally, I’m offended by statements like, “Prayer is good for the person praying,” or “Prayer changes the heart of the one praying.”  Yes, these are true statements, but they are the bare minimum of what you can say about prayer.  Based on these statements, any concerned atheist might recommend prayer as being good for one’s mental and emotional health.  I’d like to think we Christians expect more from prayer than atheists do.  Sometimes however, based on the prayers I hear, we don't.
Suppose your teenage son came to you looking for some money.  “Dear father, I’d like to go on a date,” he says, “and if it’s your will and doesn’t conflict with your plans for me, I’d appreciate some help financially.  If there’s some reason you might not think it best for me at this time to have money for a date, that’s fine.  Help me to accept your will with grace, and give me wisdom to understand.  Give me the grace to go on a date without money, or help me to understand that I should not go on a date at all.  So long as I’m pleasing to you, dad.  Your will be done.  Thank you.”
As a father, I’d be likely to give this kid money just to shut him up, except it sounds like maybe he doesn’t want to go on a date and I’m the excuse he’s looking for.  If I did give him the money, he’d actually have to take the girl out!  What does he really want?  His requests seem contradictory.
Seeking clarification, you tell your son, “Just tell me what you want.”
He responds, “Dad, I want $30.00.”
Now that you know what he wants, you can respond intelligently.  “You want $30, go get a job.  In my day....”
You’ve probably noticed, however, that children don’t ask for things in a round-about way.  They simply say what they want.  Why might that be?  Duh!  (Duh is a theological term, based on the Greek word 'du' which means duh.)  Your kids tell you what they want because they really want what they want!  More than that, they actually see a connection between asking for what they want and getting what they want!  Like every other parent, I sometimes (pronounced “usually”) say no.  But at least hearing “No” lets a child know where he is.  A vague non-request is likely to receive a vague non-answer.
Many Christians pray prayers, publicly at least, that are not prayers at all.  These requests are so safely couched in terms that give God the option of doing anything or everything - or nothing - and still answering the prayer, that I wonder if God even listens.  These prayers don’t actually ask for anything.
I think safe prayers are prayed by people who don’t believe God answers prayer, but are afraid to admit it.
Look for a safe prayer in your Bible.  You will find pleading, argument, complaint, and urgent intercession, but no prayers that give God options A through D.  The safest example of prayer you might find is the “Our Father.”  Why is it safe?  Because it is a generic model prayer, rather than an actual prayer.  It is not the result of specific needs or wants, so does not express specific needs or wants.  Which makes it safe, and likely explains it’s popularity for repetition.
Look instead to Elijah’s example.  God tells us to praqy like Elijah, who  "prayed earnestly that it might not rain; and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months.  And he prayed again, and the sky poured rain.... (James 5:17-18)”  That’s a bold prayer, held forth as an example of how God answers the prayers of His people.  Not only was it a bold prayer, but God answered it clearly.  In part because He could understand what Elijah really wanted.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I never really thought about it before but I totally pray "safe prayers". I needed to hear this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete